Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Bucatini

Pin It Now!
I had such a great time cooking dinners for my family in Ohio.  I cooked up a few of my all time faves...Smokey Minestrone Tortellini Soup and Smokey Chicken Tortilla Soup, but I also wanted to try out a few new ones.
Since I am currently obsessed with cooking, I brought some of my fave cooking magazines with me.  Looking through Cuisine at Home, I found a really yummy sounding pasta dish.  (ok, so for me almost all pasta dishes are yummy, but anyway...)  It's light, easy and full of flavor.  Great for a weeknight meal.  And if you're really short on time, just use some canned tomatoes (though the flavor won't be as pronounced.)  Many stores are starting to carry bucatini now...it's a fat spaghetti noodle that is hollow on the inside.  Sort of like a really long macaroni.  If you can't find them, sub out regular spaghetti noodles.

I'm going to post the original recipe which states it serves 2 people.  I just doubled everything and had plenty for grandma, me and the girls.  Happy cooking!  :)



Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Bucatini with garlic bread crumbs
*recipe serves 2
(recipe from Cuisine at Home)
Ingredients:

For the Garlic Bread Crumbs:
1 clove garlic
1 cup Italian bread cubes
1 tsp. olive oil
salt to taste

For the Pasta:
2 strips bacon, diced
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 oz. dry bucatini noodles
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1/4 tsp. fresh thyme

Bring a cup of salted water to a boil for the pasta
Mince garlic for the bread crumbs in a food processor.  Add cubed bread and process until coarse.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium; add crumbs and toast until golden, 3-4 minutes, stirring often.  Season with salt, set aside.
Cook bacon for the pasta in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove with slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate.  Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. drippings.
Caramelize tomatoes and sugar in drippings over medium heat.  Cook until tomatoes begin to brown, 5 minutes.  Add leeks; saute until wilted, 3-4 min.
Deglaze skillet with wine; simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated.  Add broth, vinegar, and pepper flakes.  Simmer until liquid is reduced by a third, about 5 min.
Cook bucatini in boiling water according to package directions.  Add the spinach, thyme and cooked bacon to mixture.  Transfer cooked pasta from cooking water to the skillet using tongs.  Toss to coat; season with salt.  Divide pasta among plates and spring with bread crumbs.

Dig in!  :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...