Friday, September 30, 2011

Bloody Mary Pot Roast with Fall Veggies

Pin It Now!
I came upon this dish from an email.  I'd never heard of anything like it and I was intrigued.  Knowing I wouldn't be able to make this with the vodka while in Saudi, I wanted to make it before I left. 
Now, I have never cooked with a rutabaga before.  I had no idea what they even looked like.  I had to ask the grocer to show me where they were.  They are sphere shaped with a waxy film on the outside.  They felt slimy to me.  But, I was willing to give it a go.  When I got back to my grandma's I realized I had no idea what to do with it.  I had to google rutabaga and watch a video on prepping it!  LOL  
What you do is peel the thick skin from the outside.  Then you just cut it up into cubes.  I was curious as to how they would taste and let me tell you, I loved them!!  They absorbed all the delicious juices from the sauce and they were tender and so flavorful!  I can't wait to cook with them again.  I may end up using them often in place of potatoes, since the hubby isn't such a fan.
Great, fun fall dish that just slow cooks all day and makes your house smell heavenly!
slow-cooked and scrumptious!

Note: I added an additional rutabaga and parsnips.  Feel free to vary the root veggies to your choice.  You could sub potatoes for the rutabaga, but I wouldn't...the rutabaga is so good!

Makes: 8 servings

Total time: 4–5 hours (high heat); 9–10 hours (low heat)

Heat:
2Tbsp. olive oil
13–4 lb. boneless beef roast, seasoned with salt and black pepper
Deglaze:
12cup low-sodium beef broth
1bottle bloody mary mix (reg or spicy use 12-15 oz. NOT the whole bottle!)
1Tbsp. prepared horseradish
14tsp. celery seed
1bay leaf
Arrange:
2leeks, sliced
3ribs celery, sliced into 2-inch pieces
1rutabaga, cut into 2-inch chunks (1 lb.)
12green bell pepper, chopped


Stir:
14cup cold water
14cup all-purpose flour
2Tbsp. chopped parsley
2Tbsp. vodka (optional)
1tsp. red wine vinegar
Hot pepper sauce, salt, and black pepper to taste
Celery leaves (optional)

*note...my gravy was not getting very thick, so my aunt helped me make a roux of butter and flour and then added juice from the roast to thicken.  The gravy turned out perfect.


Directions:


Heat oil in a sauté pan. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil over medium-high, about 12 minutes total. Remove roast from pan; place meat in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.


 
Deglaze pan with broth, scraping up brown bits. Stir in vegetable juice, horseradish, celery seed, and bay leaf. Pour mixture into slow cooker.


 
Arrange leeks, celery, rutabaga, and bell pepper on top of meat. Cover slow cooker; cook until meat and vegetables are tender — on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours, or on low-heat setting for 9-10 hours.


 
Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; cover and keep food warm.


 
Transfer juices from slow cooker to a large saucepan. Skim off fat.


 
Stir cold water into flour. Stir flour mixture into juices in saucepan; cook over medium heat until gravy is thickened, 2 minutes. Stir parsley, vodka, and vinegar into gravy in saucepan. Season gravy with hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.


 
Serve gravy over pot roast and vegetables. Garnish each serving with celery leaves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...