Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Incredible Tuna Poke

Pin It Now! My husband went with a buddy to the fish market last Saturday.  He came home with a gorgeous piece of fresh ahi tuna.  I'm one of those people who prefer their fish raw to cooked...so, when he suggested making a tuna poke, I was all for it!  


Let me tell you, this was like candy (fabulous little fish candy).  It seemed to just melt in my mouth.  Absolutely incredible and I was so sad when it was all gone.  Couldn't this be like "Best Thing You Ever Ate" and a plate would just magically appear in front of me right now??  Just the smell of it while he was preparing the dish had me drooling.  (while I sat on the couch and read my book...love when he cooks for me!)  :)  I seriously want him to get up every Saturday morning at 3:45am and go to the market just for this ahi.  I could eat this every day.  If you can get your hands on some great tuna, you have to try this recipe...you'll totally surprise friends and family who'll think you got takeout from the local sushi joint.



If only you could eat a picture.... 
Ingredients:


  • lb fresh ahi tuna (must be Sashimi Grade #1)
  • 1/4 cup shallot, finely minced
  • green onions, chopped fine
  • tablespoons light soy sauce
  • tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • tablespoons mirin
  • tablespoon sesame seed, gently roasted
  • tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
  • tablespoon roasted sesame oil
  • vietnamese red chili sauce, to taste  (Siracha)

  • Directions:
  • Blend all ingredients EXCEPT the tuna in a non-reactive bowl.  Mix well, taste and season, adding salt as necessary.
  • Cut tuna into small, uniform bits approximately 1/2 inch square or so.  Gently toss the tuna in the dressing and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

  • Serving Suggestions:
  • Serve as an appetizer with shrimp chips (the kind that you get at the Asian grocery store and fry yourself) or fried wonton chips.
  • Serve as an "entrée" dish with steamed short grain rice.
  • Serve as a salad over seaweed or lettuce.
  •  
  • Tips about the dish:
  • As you prepare the fish, make sure that your utensils are very clean and cool or cold.
  • If you can't find the Vietnamese red chili sauce, crushed red pepper or wasabi paste would be great substitutes.
  • Poke doesn't keep well, so make only as much as you're sure to eat in one sitting.
  • If you're putting this on a buffett, stick the bowl on a bed of ice or else it'll start looking a bit gray.


  •     



    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...