Sunday, August 14, 2011

Slovak Christmas Mushroom Soup

Pin It Now!
I know you are wondering why I am posting a recipe that is dedicated to Christmas.  Well, while I was visiting my family in Ohio I asked (ok, I begged) my aunt and grandma to make some of my all time fave recipes.  We only make this soup on Christmas Eve, but I argued, I'll be in Saudi by Christmas and I just HAD to learn how to make this!!!  Of course, my fabulous family agreed.  :)  It also helped that my aunt had a few extra cans of sauerkraut juice stoked away. 

See, that's the problem with this soup.  You need ALOT of sauerkraut juice...not just the stuff you strain off from the cans of kraut.  I'm talking cans of just the juice.  I've NEVER seen it in my grocery stores here on the west coast.  So, that makes this soup even more special because the only time I've really got to eat it was at grandma's house in Ohio.  (one year we did get to make it in Vegas when our family in Ohio shipped some juice to us)  Therefore, if you have trouble finding the juice, I won't be surprised.  But, if you do, oh man, are you in for a treat!  :)
Yes, this is a sauerkraut and mushroom soup.  And yes, it is TART!  But, of course, that's why we all love it so much.  If you have sensitive stomach, take some Tums or something in advance.  ;)  This is such a simple soup to make (if you can find all the ingredients)  It is also supposed to bring you good luck for the upcoming new year.  (I figured, we could use some luck for our upcoming move to Saudi...therefore, extra bonus for making the soup)  :)


This is a true family recipe and I've been allowed to share this with all of you.  (and we've had many requests for it over the years!)  Happy cooking!  





Slovak Christmas Mushroom Soup
*note: this is a handed down recipe and therefore I don't always have exact measurements, what is listed below is how my aunt and I made the recipe*
Ingredients:
1 pkg. dried oyster mushrooms
1 pkg. dried shitake mushrooms
1 pkg. white button mushrooms
7 cans of sauerkraut juice (more or less depending on how tart you want the soup)
2 cups water (or to taste)
1 box tiny noodles (ex. Pastina or Acini di pepe)
1/4 cup Butter
1/2 cup Flour


Directions:
Remove dried mushrooms from packages and soak in water to re-hydrate.
Wash button mushrooms and coarsely chop.  Do the same with the re-hydrated mushrooms.


Pour the kraut juice and water into a large pot.  Add mushrooms.  Bring to a boil and simmer for a minimum of two hours.  (you can go longer)  




Cook pasta till al-dente and set aside.


Once the soup has simmered for at least two hours, make the roux.  Melt the butter in a small skillet.  Add the flour.  Cook until the flour has thickened and you have a nice blond-like color.  Add the roux to the soup.  


You're done!  
How to serve:
Have pasta in one bowl and soup in another.  Scoop some noodles into your bowl and add the broth on top.  Oh, heaven in a bowl.  Wishing you years of good luck!  :)


  

3 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

My wife is such a huge fan of Sauerkraut juice... emailing this to her

Staci said...

I hope she loves it! :) If you have an easy time finding the cans of juice, I would love to hear where you got them. Not a lot of luck so far for me here on the west coast.

Anonymous said...

Hey Staci: As a chec/slovac/german you know i'm going to love this recipe that i've waited for 10 years to get from your Mom :))) I went online and ordered the sauerkraut juice. Was $27 for a case plus shipping. Of course i'll find it locally somewhere now :))) Thanks for sharing! Christa

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...