I've never cooked with tempeh before, though I know I like it. It's one of those things that any normal meat eater would balk at. Although tempeh is made from soy, it has a unique taste and is mildly flavorful on it's own, unlike tofu. If you aren't fond of tofu, tempeh is also very high in protein and calcium, as well as beneficial isoflavones, but tastes nothing like tofu. Tempeh has a textured and nutty flavor. I just tell my girls they are eating chicken and with all the noodles mixed in, I'm sure this'll be a hit.
Since it's a brand new dish for Cooking Light, there aren't any reviews about the recipe yet. Perhaps I'll be the first! :)
- 8 ounces uncooked wide rice sticks (banh pho)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber
- 5 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 12 lime wedges
- 1. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- 2. Combine broth and the next 4 ingredients (through Sriracha), stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add tempeh, and stir-fry 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and shallots; stir-fry 1 minute or until shallots begin to soften. Add eggs; stir-fry for 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Add soy sauce mixture, and bring to a boil. Add noodles and bean sprouts; toss gently to coat. Cook 1 minute or until sauce is thickened.
- 4. Remove from heat, and top with cucumber and the next 5 ingredients (through fresh cilantro). Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon dry-roasted peanuts and the juice from 2 lime wedges.