Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cucumber Slaw with Thai Dressing

Pin It Now! Yesterday I was trying to think of a nice side to go with Thai Peanut-Sauced Chicken Pitas.  I polled my friends on Facebook and got some great ideas.  Some said a cold salad, come said an Asian slaw.  I have some cucumbers from my garden so I thought, why not make a nice cucumber slaw?  I wanted to keep with the Thai theme so I googled a dressing that might go nice.  This all came together really well.  The dressing was light with a little vinegar zing and all the veggies were crisp and crunchy.  Best of all, got thumbs up from the whole family.  :)





Ingredients:
2 medium cucumbers sliced into strips (I used my mandolin for this...and I like to leave the peel on, but you can peel if you like)
1 cup broccoli slaw (Trader Joe's sells this...if you can't find one similar, just use all regular slaw)
1 cup packaged slaw
1/2 cup (or more) matchstick carrots
1/2 cup julienned red pepper
(optional: top with crushed peanuts)
Note: feel free to add more/less of the slaw and veggies depending on how much you need.
Dressing:
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
2-3 fresh garlic cloves minced
1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced, OR 1-2 tsp siracha sauce, OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried crushed red chili flakes
1-2 tsp white sugar (to taste)
pinch of white pepper

Directions:
Combine all the veggies into a bowl.
Mix the dressing in a separate bowl.
When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to coat.  
(wicked simple, right?)  ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Staci... love cole slaw. i will definately try this. We loved the one asian slaw that you make a while back with diacon which was amazing.christa

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...