Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

Pin It Now! We were so excited to plant a garden this year.  My husband and his friend got the ground all ready with great soil and then we headed to the nursery to pick out veggies to grow.  Top on my list were tomatoes and I've gotten a few so far...think we planted them a little late.  We also planted cucumber, zucchini, artichoke and my hubby has half a dozen hot pepper plants.  LOL  We got a few cucumber and we have three little artichokes growing right now.  The zucchini; however, has taken over!!!!  I've already picked close to a dozen and there are at least half a dozen more with flowers still blossoming!  I never knew that little plant would get so big.  
So, with zucchini coming at me from all sides, I needed to do something with them!  I have never made zucchini bread (I've never made any bread for that matter).  But, I thought, why not give it a try.  (knowing my luck with baking I'll screw it up somehow)  Took me an hour to find my loaf pans.  LOL  
This is a Paula Dean recipe, so I have to believe its going to be good.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!  :)



Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
  • Whipped cream, for serving
  • Zucchini ribbons, for serving

Directions

Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Grease (2) 9 by 5-inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices, chocolate chips and baking soda.  (coating the chips in the flour will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the bread while baking)
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, pecans, and orange zest. Stir in sifted ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool. Chill before slicing. Serve with whipped cream and ribbons of zucchini.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...