Friday, July 1, 2011

Birthday Cake Tradition

Pin It Now!
The other day was my birthday.  Funny how, the older we get, the less special birthday's seem.  At least to me.  Perhaps it's the fact that my world revolves around my kids now...or the fact that I don't want to start looking at the numbers getting bigger.  
Figured this year's birthday would be pretty uneventful.  Nothing really planned.  Then my mom decided to come for a visit.  (yippee!)  There's just something special about having your mom around on your birthday.  (could be the fact of the matter that you wouldn't be having a birthday if it wasn't for her...)  :)  So, my uneventful birthday turned into a great little family event.  My hubby is going to come home early to cook for me and my mom is going make our traditional birthday cake.


Our family is fond of traditions.  And birthday's were one of them.  For my brother and I, on our birthday, we would wake up to see the house decorated with balloons and streamers.  But, the best part was the cake.  Mom always made this cake...ya know, tradition and all.  And to this day, if mom is around for my birthday, that's all I want her to make.  It's simple and delicious.  Over the year's, she's changed the recipe to make it a bit healthier too.  But, if you want to go full fat, have at it!  :)      


So, Happy Birthday to me!  And thanks mom!  (now it's time to chow down on this cake!)




This may not be the most gorgeous looking cake...but it's even more special knowing my daughters help to make it for me.  (oh, yeah, and the Skittles were their idea...not normally part of the cake...in hindsight, M&M's would have tasted better.) 

Mint Chocolate Chip and Oreo Ice Cream Cake


(*note: we're scaling down the recipe to make it for an 8x8 pan -since there's just 5 of us eating it-, but it's usually made in a 9x13, so this recipe is for the big one, but the photos will show for an 8x8)


Ingredients:
1 pkg low-fat Oreo cookies
4 tbs butter (or margarine) chopped into little pieces
1/2 gallon Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (pick your fave brand)
1 jar (16oz) sugar free hot fudge topping
1 tub of Lite Cool-Whip




Directions:
Get out your food processor and in small batches, pulse the Oreos until they are crumbs.  (should have no big chunks) Reserve a few tablespoons for garnish.
Then, in a 9x13 glass baking dish add the Oreo's and the butter and spread evenly.  Put in the microwave on high for 1 minute.  Remove from microwave, stir and then place back into microwave for 30 seconds.
Next, using a spatula press the cookie mixture along the bottom to create a crust and place in the freezer for an hour.




Just before you remove the crust from the freezer, take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to get soft (but don't let it melt!)


When the crust is ready, use a spatula to smooth the ice cream on top of the frozen crust.  Put it back in the freezer for at least 2 hours.  You want the ice cream to be nice and hard, so check it and if it's not ready...shove it back in for a bit longer.




Now that the ice cream is hard, take the hot fudge and melt in the microwave.  Spread it on top of the ice cream...and....back in the freezer.  Another hour or so...needs to set.





Finally, smooth the cool whip over the hot fudge and top with reserved crushed Oreo's.  If you're ready to eat it then and there, go for it....otherwise.. Back in the freezer!  




Okay, so if just my mom had made this...it would have been more presentable, but I just love that my girls helped out.  :)

If serving from the freezer, let it sit out for about 10 min so it is easier to cut out.  Then...HELLO BRAIN FREEZE!  (cause, well, yeah, you're gonna gobble this up!)  


Happy Birthday...from me and my mom.  





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...