My mom is in town and we loved the idea of making this, but I didn't have any oven proof bowls. So, we headed out to Home Goods and found some for a decent price. (yes, I know, who goes out to buy bowls just to cook a recipe? Me.)
It's a very simple dish to make and doesn't take much time. Another great Italian meal for this week's menu. I'm in heaven! Thanks Paula!
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (I used a 28oz can of San Marzano's)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Crostini, recipe follows
- 1 thin French baguette
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*Two notes: one, I think next time I would up the broth a bit...the noodles sucked up quite a bit and it was more stew-like (but if you like that..go for it!) and Two, when adding the noodles, do them a few at a time so they don't all stick together...like they did for me)
In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.
Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.
For the garlic crostini:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut bread into 1/4-inch round slices. Place on baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; place in oven and bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Rub each side with smashed garlic cloves.