Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hawaiian Pineapple Honey Slaw

Pin It Now! Yesterday I was trying to think of a fun side dish to make with the Baked Teryiaki Chicken.  As I looked around my kitchen, I spotted a head of red cabbage that needed to be used up pretty quick.  So, I started surfing the net looking for something that would taste good.  Through an app in my Ipad, (BigOven), I found this recipe.  And I'm so glad I did!  The hubby and I aren't big fans of mayo slaw; therefore, I was happy to see that this came with a lovely light dressing.  Because of the pineapple juice and honey, I expected a sweet dish...but it wasn't.  I think the recipe makes a bit too much dressing; however, and I didn't use up all of mine on the slaw.  Next time I'll scale it back a bit.  
I also used 3/4 of a  green cabbage and 3/4 of the red.  
Using the grilled pineapple rings as the "plate," you get a great mix of flavors. The sweetness of the pineapple and the texture went so well with the coleslaw.  Even my kids liked it.  The hubby and I spiked ours with some Siracha for a great kick.      



A perfect summer dinner...

Hawaiian Pineapple Honey Slaw


Ingredients:

8 ounces Pineapple juice
2 ounces Honey
1 tbsp Rice vinegar
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
12 ounces Extra virgin olive oil
1 head Green Cabbage shredded
0.25 head Red Cabbage shredded
1 medium Carrot shredded
4 Green onion green part only, sliced on a bias
Salt
Siracha (optional)



Preparation:
*Note:  start reducing the juice prior to anything else.  It took me around 20 min to get it to reduce.  So, pour the juice in your pot, and get it at a good high rolling boil, then just let it go.  Now, start chopping up the veggies.  



In a non-reactive sauce pan, reduce the pineapple juice by half, add the honey, then chill in an ice bath. When cool, whisk in the rice vinegar, sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil. Place the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and green onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over, and toss to coat. Season with salt and serve immediately.  Add siracha for a great kick!




Make with Baked Teriyaki Chicken for an amazing family meal.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...