Monday, May 2, 2011

Friday: Turkey Lasagna

Pin It Now! Thought this would be fun to try and I'll have leftovers for lunch Saturday.  Perfect!  I borrowed this recipe from Food and Whine (another blog)  You'll see her note at the end of the recipe.  Going to have a nice side salad with this to round out the meal.




Ingredients:


2 tsp olive oil
10 oz ground turkey or extra-lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
12 no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach, cooked and drained
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large nonstick saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil. Add turkey, onion and garlic. Cook until turkey is brown and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. 
Stir in tomatoes, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and sugar. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Combine cottage cheese and spinach in a bowl.


Spoon 1/3 of sauce into bottom of 9x13" baking dish, then top with 3 of the noodles. Spread with half of cottage cheese and spinach mixture, then top with 3 more noodles. Repeat layering once more, ending with sauce. Sprinkle with mozarella on top.


Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.









From Food and Whine: "I don't know what it is exactly about this recipe that makes it taste so good. There's nothing particularly unique about the ingredients, but when combined it makes an especially nice lasagna. It's low in fat too, but you wouldn't know it. I often use ground beef instead of ground turkey, just because it's what I usually have on hand, and it tastes equally yummy. My parents make this a lot and gave me the recipe. I tweaked it a bit and so have they, but the original recipe comes from a weight-watchers cookbook I think. I like that it's made with the no-boil noodles so it's fast to put together. Primo makes whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles, but for some reason they're hard to find around here. I get them from Safeway but I can't find them anywhere else. My parents don't have a Safeway near them, so they stock up on these noodles whene they come to visit me. So if you can't find whole wheat ones, the regular no-boil noodles will be fine. Give this recipe a try, you won't be sorry. My whole family really enjoys this one whenever I make it."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...