It doesn't seem too difficult to prepare...once I figure out these "soft/stiff peaks" thing. So, I found a video on how to do just that:
How To Beat Egg Whites
Ingredients (recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate minichips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remaining ingredient:
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare cupcakes, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 6 tablespoons sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 6 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla and juice.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place 24 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Spoon about 3 heaping tablespoons batter into each muffin cup. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pans; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, combine 1/2 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients (1/2 cup sugar through 2 egg whites) in top of a double boiler; place over barely simmering water. Beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form and candy thermometer registers 160°. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon frosting over each cupcake. Sprinkle evenly with coconut.