Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joe's (recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces ground sirloin (I want to keep it lean so I'll prob buy 90/10)
- 1 (10oz) package presliced cremini mushrooms (Trader Joe's has these cheap!)
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, toasted
*my note: We've ALWAYS added shredded mozzerella cheese to our Sloppy Joe's...I think I'll have some on the side...just in case.) :)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add beef; cook for until nicely browned..should take at least 10 min., stirring to crumble.
- 2. While beef cooks, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil. Saute until most of the moisture from the mushrooms have been absorbed.
- 3. Add tomato paste and next five ingredients to the meat. Stir to combine. Keep meat at a simmer.
- 4. Add mushroom mixture and combine everything. Stir in pepper and hot sauce. Spoon about 1 cup beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with top halves of buns.