Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Poppy Seed Rolls

Pin It Now!
Christmas is a huge holiday for my family.  It's always been, well, just extra special.  Since we lived in Vegas and my mom's family was in Ohio, trips there for Christmas were something we cherished.  All the family, the fun, and the FOOD!  My grandmother would bake up more cookies and treats than her house had room for!  She used to store them in tins in the coat closet!  :) 
And these weren't just your run of the mill treats, oh no, these were only at Christmas goodies!  She would make apricot horns, snowflakes, nut horns, poppy seed rolls, nut rolls, the peanut butter ones with the Hershey kiss in the middle, and half a dozen more.  How we didn't gain 50lbs over the holiday is beyond me.

So, while I was staying with my grandma I asked her if she'd make one of my all time faves.  Poppy seed rolls.  (I saw the cans of poppy seed in her fridge...why there?  No idea, I don't question.)  She looked at me like I was crazy, but then I insisted that I just HAD to learn to make them, especially since I was in charge this Christmas (it's all up to me this year in Saudi!)  So, she caved. :)  Lucky me. 

These are actually very easy to make, you may just have trouble finding the cans of poppy seed.  Our rolls turned out huge...much bigger than she usually makes them, but oh, they tasted divine.  In our personal opinion, the best way to eat these is warmed just a bit in the microwave and have a nice cold glass of milk.  (it was my breakfast for 5 days straight)  :)  Happy Cooking!


Poppy Seed Rolls

Ingredients
1 package frozen dough
4 cans poppy seed
1/2 cup milk (use less first and add more as needed)
1/2 stick butter (more for greasing the pan)
1 egg beaten
flour


Directions:
The night before, more the dough from the freezer to the fridge to thaw.  Then remove the dough and allow it to rise.


Using a double boiler, add the cans of poppy seed and cook for 1hour.  Then chill.
When the dough is ready, lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough.  Use about 3/4 of one roll from the package.

Next, use 3/4 to 1 cup of filling and make sure you cover all the dough.

Using the butter, grease your baking pan.

Roll up the dough and place it seem side down in the pan.  Repeat process with remaining dough. 
Next, you need to let the dough rise till just above the rim of the pan.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Bake the rolls uncovered until they are nice and brown (about a half hour)

When they are brown, take them out and rub the tops with the butter.  Then let cool a bit (or if you're like me, just dig in right away) and enjoy!  :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...