Friday, May 18, 2012

Pineapple-Carrot Muffins

Pin It Now!
Many of you know my feelings on baking... I love to bake, it hates to turn out right.  So, I tend to shy away from baked goods.  You'd think the control freak in me would love the preciseness of baking...yeah, not so much.  
Therefore, I must have been in a weird mood when I decided I just wanted to...bake something.  I've had a can of pineapple in my cupboard for the last 5 months...I figured it was time to put it to good use.  There are not very many healthy snacks to be found here for my kids and I'm desperate for something else to give them aside from granola bars.  I love muffins, all kinds, but I know they can be just has bad as eating a fist full of cookies.  
When I found a recipe claiming both pineapple and carrots, I figured, well, at least there's some veggies in these!  If I could find whole wheat flour, I would have used that too, but I'm stuck with good ol' AP flour.  The recipe was super simple, the girls helped me, and we turned out some pretty tasty muffins.  They are good at room temp, but I find them much tastier after 10 seconds in the microwave...and if you're feeling a little devilish, slide a bit of butter over the top...crap, I was trying to make something healthy wasn't I?  
These have mass potential to be tweaked...think of adding, raisins, oats, cranberries, or strawberries.  Try some slivered almonds on top!  I'd love to hear what you'd come up with!


I couldn't wait...had to take a bite!  ;)

Ingredients

    • 1/2 cup white sugar1/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/3 cup cup canola oil1/3 cup applesauce
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (whole wheat would work well too...just cut the amount in half)
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup grated carrots
    • 1 cup drained, canned crushed pineapple

Directions

  1. Stir together sugar, oil, and applesauce.
  2. Stir in the eggs until well combined.
  3. Stir in vanilla.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  5. Stir into sugar mixture just until combined.
  6. Stir in carrots and pineapple just until combined.
  7. Spoon into well greased muffin tin, filling to top. (I used liners, but I think next time I'll try without...the liners pulled away a lot of the muffin)
  8. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 20 minutes or until done.
  9. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...