Friday, October 7, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake

Pin It Now!
Yesterday my mother-in-law was just craving something chocolate.  We brainstormed some ideas and I stumbled on a recipe online about a chocolate sheet cake.  Now, if you've kept up with my blog, you know I don't bake much...at all.  I had never heard of a sheet cake, but of course, my mother in law had.  Then she says, "I think I have a recipe for sheet cake" and she pulls out her big ol' Texas box of recipes.  And sure enough, she had one.  What was really funny was that it was almost identical to the one that I found online.
She told me that she's had this recipe for over 20 years and she just went to work.  They cake is super easy to make and is done in 20 minutes!  And, oh my, the taste...it's enough to make anyone addicted to chocolate.  It was moist and that little hint of cinnamon really did the trick.  You take this to a get together and I can promise you'll be bringing home an empty baking sheet.  Maybe I'll go sneak another piece....


are you wishing you could eat a picture??

I'm going to type this up as she has it written on her recipe.  So, make sure to read all the way through for your total ingredient list.  :)


For the Cake:
Sift into a large bowl
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
Set aside


Mix in a sauce pan:
2 sticks of butter
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup water
Bring to a boil and our over sugar/flour mixture.  Mix well.
Next, add:
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla


Mix well and pour into a greased and floured 11x16 in baking sheet.


Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


For the Icing:
begin 5 minutes before cake is done.


Melt and bring to a boil:
1 stick butter
2 Tbsp cocoa
6 Tbsp milk


Remove from heat and add
1 box (16oz) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (if using...we didn't)


Beat well and spread on cake while hot.


Then...just enjoy the heavenly bliss of Texas Sheet Cake....mmmmmm......
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...