Monday, October 24, 2011

Super Quick Pasta with Green Veggies

Pin It Now!
Yesterday I was getting a rare treat...a sushi dinner with friends.  NO kids!  I have only been out without my girls twice in the last 5 months.  Not for a lack of trying, it's just been beyond busy.  So, last night I was heading out for dinner and enjoy the company of grownups.  Of course, what did we end up talking about most of the night?  That's right, our kids.  Ah well, it was still a great time.
Before I left, I wanted to make sure my girls had something yummy for dinner.  I raided my mom's pantry and freezer for ideas.  (we're camping out at grandma's until we ship out to Saudi next week)
I spied a bag of pasta and some frozen veggies.  Perfect.  If it has noodles, my kids will eat it.  Period. 
This is such a simple dish with light flavors and a nice punch of veggie goodness.  Spike it with some red pepper flakes for a more grown up taste.  :)


Ingredients: 1/2 bag pasta (whatever you have on hand)
1 cup frozen, shelled edamame
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup fresh broccoli (of frozen)
2 to 3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder (more if you like a stronger garlic taste)
red pepper flakes

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package.  About two minutes before the pasta is done, through in veggies and cook until heated through. 
Carefully drain pasta and veggies...making sure to reserve 1 cup of pasta water.  Do not rinse!
Empty pasta into a large bowl.  Mix in butter and cheese.  Add some of the pasta water to create a nice texture.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, toss to coat.
Spoon into bowls, top with extra parm and red pepper flakes (if using)

Dig in and enjoy!  Happy Quick Cooking!  :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...