Monday, May 9, 2011

Tuesday: Steak Stir-Fry

Pin It Now!
Sunday found my family at the local farmers market.  First time in the two years we've lived here...how could we have waited so long?  I went with the sole purpose of buying eggs.  There is nothing like the taste of fresh eggs.  I left with some great finds...but no eggs.  Yep, got so wrapped up in all the other great stuff, I forgot the eggs.  Well, not totally, I did buy some quail eggs.  I've been dying to try them and no stores sell them around here.  I'll post more about these lovely little eggs later.
  
One of the stands was just overflowing with all sorts of leafy greens.  Half I'd never even heard of.  They had lemon basil (that smelled just like a fresh lemon), purple basil (no idea what to do with that either.  I ended up buying some Thai basil, which I now realize it's what I have it growing like a weed in my backyard...(I knew it was some kind of basil!)  And also two new greens:
Phak Boong, “Morning Glory”  ...it took me the better part of a half hour to find this on the web and figure out what to do with it.  It's going in my stir fry.  
I also purchased Methi aka Fenugreek (googled this one too).  I'll post more about these two later on.  


So, once I realized that I could throw the morning glory into a stir-fry, I decided to just make a nice beef stir-fry dish.  The recipe is for the sauce...I'm just going to add a bunch of veggies and mix it all up!  What's your fave stir-fry sauce?




Stir-Fry Sauce


2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger  (or a bit of fresh minced ginger)
  • cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or 1/2 cup Tamari soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1/2 cups beef broth or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth  (use chicken broth if the stir fry will have chicken, etc.) - I make sure I buy low sodium, fat free broth (of any kind)

  • For my dish I'm adding the following:
  • 1.5 lb London broil sliced very thin
  • 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
  • 1 can (drained) baby corn (find in Asian isle)
  • 1 can (drained) water chestnuts
  • 1 can (drained) bamboo shoots
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup shelled edamame

  • Combine all ingredients in a large glass jar with a lid.  (or for my purpose, I'm just using a ziploc bag)
  • Screw lid on and shake well.  You can store it in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
  • When you are ready to use the sauce, give it another good shake.
  • Stir fry your vegetables and meat as desired, add appropriate amount of sauce, bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.



  • Serve over noodles or rice.



  • Stir frying the veggies


    meat added...


    all saucy and ready to eat.


    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...