Monday, May 9, 2011

Friday: Pesto Pasta

Pin It Now! I've never been a big fan of pesto.  Maybe it's the odd green color.  Maybe it's the odd taste.  But, since I'm trying to get my girls to try new things, I figured I should give it another go.  Plus, I like the fact that this pesto is made with a variety of greens...adding to the bonus veggie factor.  It's a simple dish to make and I'll probably use some fun pasta to go with it.  I listed this as vegetarian, but I may toss in some pancetta for some crunch and smoky flavor.  Some nice buttery, garlicky crusty bread would round this all out nicely.




  BROCCOLI, KALE, PARSLEY, AND WALNUT PESTO 
 (from dashandbella.blogspot.com)

2 cups broccoli, cut into medium-sized florets and trimmed
2 cups kale, coarsley chopped
1/3 cup parsley leaves
big pinch of salt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

1/2 cup pancetta (chopped and browned)
1 loaf french bread (halved, spread with butter, sprinkle with garlic powder and brown under broiler on a foil lined cookie sheet)

Steam broccoli until tender. Throw kale and parsley in with broccoli for final minute of steaming. Make a paste with the garlic and salt with a mortar and pestle or with a chef's knife on the chopping block. In a food processor or blender, place garlic paste, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice/zest, parmesan, broccoli, kale, parsley, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times, scrape down the sides, pulse again. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Or maybe more lemon. Serve right away. Or store in a jar with a thin layer of olive oil on top to prevent browning.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...