*Kid corner: for older kids, you can have them help you add each ingredient to the pot as you cook. Let them stir every now and then too.
- YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil)
- COURSE: Soups/Stews
- 8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.