Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tuesday: Oktoberfest Stoup

Pin It Now! This just flat out sounded awesome!  I don't care if it's the end of March...I'm making this!  Our one bad meal of the week.  I'm going almost all Rachel Ray this week...(I was perusing her cookbook that I pilfered from my mom)  Hoping this tastes as good as it sounds!



Oktoberfest Stoup


Ingredients


tablespoons vegetable oil
  • tablespoons butter, cut into pats
  • knockwurst, diced into 1 inch cubes (or substitute 3 extra brats)
  • bratwursts, diced into 1 inch cubes
  • red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
  • lbs red cabbage, quartered and shredded
  • teaspoon caraway seed
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer or 1 (12 ounce) bottle beef broth
  • quart veal stock or quart beef stock or quart vegetable broth or quart chicken stock
  • cups tomato sauce
  • tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • fresh bay leaves or dried bay leaf
  • tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • red delicious apples or golden delicious apples, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 lemon, juice of

  • Directions:


    Heat a big soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 table­spoon of the vegetable oil and half the butter.
    When the butter melts into the oil, add the cubed wursts and brown them on all sides, 5 minutes. Remove the browned sausages and add the remaining tablespoon each of oil and butter.

    When the butter melts into the oil, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and car­away, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Cook the cab­bage for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
    Add the beer and cook down 1 minute. Add the stock, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and bay leaf and stir to combine. Add the wursts back to the pot. Cover the pot and bring the soup up to a boil, 2 or 3 minutes.
    Remove the lid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the cabbage is tender. Remove the bay leaf.
    Combine the parsley, apple, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and top with generous spoonfuls of the flavored apples to stir into the soup as you eat it.


    1 comments:

    Staci said...

    Okay, so this wasn't off the charts. The flavors were really good, but it's not good enough to warrant the HUGE amount of fat in this dish.

    I kept out the extra butter and oil because there was enough oil from the sausage. I couldn't find authentic Knockwurst, so I used Hebrew National Beef Knockwurst (basically a glorified hot dog with loads of fat)

    I think perhaps using a lower fat meat and keep the rest the same would be great.

    Also, I couldn't find any veal bones so I didn't get to make the stock. Still would like to try that though.

    I used way less cabbage than called for and I think that's why I ended up with more soup than STOUP as Rachael would say. Ah well, you never know unless you try! :)

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...