Pin It Now! I've never even tried cauliflower soup, but I'm going to make this! I love the idea of the curry seasoning. I'm going to serve it along side some grilled (or pan cooked) sausage.
Yield: 6 Servings
2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets (about 10 cups)
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
½ leek, white and light green parts only, diced (about ¾ cup)
2 large carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ bunch cilantro, chopped (about 2 cups)
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon mild curry powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups vegetable stock
¾ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Reserve 1 cup of small cauliflower florets, ¼ cup of onion, ¼ cup of leeks and ¼ cup of carrots for garnish.
2. In a large pot, warm ¼ cup of the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the remaining onion, leek and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have begun to soften, about 6 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook until soft, about 10 minutes longer.
3. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, combine the coriander and cumin seeds and toast until they are fragrant and slightly browned, about 2 minutes. In a square of cheesecloth, combine the toasted seeds and the cilantro and tie into a bundle, securing it with a piece of kitchen twine. Add the spice bundle, turmeric, curry powder and garlic to the vegetables in the pot and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the vegetable stock, bring a simmer and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Remove the cheesecloth bundle, then puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the puree to the pot and keep warm.
5. In a large skillet, warm the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the reserved cauliflower, onion, leek and carrots and cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reserve.
6. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, olive oil and lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Divide the hot soup among 6 deep bowls, garnish with the reserved vegetables and drizzle with the yogurt mixture. Serve immediately.