Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ahhh....soup: Pasta e Fagioli

Pin It Now! I truly think I should have been born Italian.  I love all things Italian...trying to get the hubby to move me there...girl can dream can't she?  
Anyway, here's a delicious Italian soup.  Simple, easy.  You can't go wrong here.  Throw in some crusty garlic bread and you're set. 




We had company over totaling 4 adults and 4 kids eating.  I doubled the recipe, but there were NO leftovers!  I'm going to have to triple it next time.  Best part is that it's a very inexpensive dish to make and very little prep.  I did what other reviewers recommended and created the "broth" first.  I let all the juices simmer for a couple of hours, then I added the beans for another hour, then right before eating I added the shells.  I forgot to top with the parsley but did add the parm cheese.  This will be made often!



  • YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
  • COURSE: Soups/Stews
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage (* I use Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage from Trader Joes)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons bottled minced garlic
  • 1 cup water
  • (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • 1 cup uncooked small seashell pasta (about 4 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
  • Minced fresh parsley (optional)
  • Crushed red pepper (optional)
Preparation
  • Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until browned, stir-ring to crumble. Add water, broth, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta, 1/4 cup cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, and beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes or until pasta is done. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Garnish each serving with parsley and red pepper, if desired.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...